Elm Hall Drive Methodist Church was established near the outskirts of the city of Liverpool at the beginning of the twentieth century as outreach from the Trinity Grove Street Church to the expanding community. The building work began in late 1903 and the first service was held a year later.
EHD has always sought to be a welcoming church to families. Although the days of hundreds of Sunday School scholars have passed, we still have a thriving Junior Church (called the Light Factory).
In 1996 EHD joined with nine other local churches in signing an ecumenical covenant committing us to shared worship and witness. This has led to a range of outreach ventures including HOPE in 2015 and 2016, shared Alpha courses in 2007 and 2008, and Merseyfest in 2005.
The congregation grew and a new worship area was eventually opened in 1928. Further modification to the entrance to the church took place in the mid 1990s to provide a more accessible entrance to church and rooms for the many users of the building.
The church has been a base for Methodist chaplaincy to Liverpool’s Universities for many years. Students involvement has been valued and some connected with the church have gone on to serve as local preachers, lay workers and ministers in Britain and abroad.